Wednesday, June 10, 2009

THANKS TO DIGITAL TELEVISION, I GOT TO WATCH BONNIE HUNT CALL TONY DANZA A RAT BASTARD

Bonnie Hunt

Hi again, yahoos and yahoo-ettes. Well, technology can certainly be a wonderful thing, can’t it? In anticipation of this conversion to all digital on Friday, I cranked up the late birthday present I got from my brother Denny and lo and behold, I got to tune in Channel 5.2 in time to hear Bonnie Hunt call Tony Danza a rat bastard. Somehow that makes it all worth while. (Sigh) Ain’t life in America grand, folks?

Actually, with all due respect, I wasn’t the least bit shocked, nor would I have been in regular broadcast mode. I’m a fan of the
Bonnie Hunt Show and I may be one of the few who don’t remember her from any other ‘role’.

As the star of the Bonnie Hunt Show, she comes across very real to me. I like it that she’s a former nurse from the Midwest and continues to fight for cancer patients in a way now equally as appropriate.

I love that her production company is named after her mother and father and that her mom continues to be a mainstay of Bonnie’s professional life. In short, despite her celebrity, she comes across pretty much like the girls I grew up with. She’s working class Chicago Southside Irish and, as far as I’m concerned? That’s just about as Middle America as it gets off the farm.

She’s a nice looking lass and I’ve considered experiencing some of the films and television productions Ms. Hunt’s been involved with. I’m sure I’d be impressed. My friends are. But I think for now, I’ll forgo that. I can get Hollywood with an ease that is altogether too tempting, believe me. Good neighbors are not, at least in my experience, so easy to find.

Well, if this column had a GOOD NEWS - BAD NEWS DEPARTMENT, these next two would surely fall under that. On one hand,
the unemployment rate is going up. On the other hand, in my home state of Washington, they’re predicting that this Recession is coming to an end.

It seems to me that the economic landscape is still changing and while I appreciate the wisdom, generosity, and humanitarian enlightenment of these economic stimulus packages, I’m still looking for sustainable examples and they keep coming from weird places all over the four countries this blog seems to reach week after week. (You people have the patience of saints).

In Eugene, Oregon, they’ve discovered that if citizens increased its bicycle usage to half that of Amsterdam, “
the city would enjoy more than $212 million a year in local economic stimulus, an analysis of traffic cost data shows.”

As far as relevant statistics, the article was pretty much a washout. I couldn’t find out how many people in either Amsterdam or Eugene are currently using bicycles. What I appreciated was the breakdown on why bicycles are “greener” than fossil-fueled transportation. It’s a good solid argument for anyone seeking to implement those kinds of changes in either their own life or in the lives of their community.

There’s also an outfit in Idaho which is recycling bottles and providing incarcerated women with a second chance. As most of you know probably better than I do, hard times produce desperate behavior when feeding and providing for one’s own are concerned and that’s the approach the Idaho Department of Corrections Chief admits is working. According to
this article in Boise Weekly Overall, Idaho's prison chief is supportive of more workforce training for inmates.

"They are working their way back out," said Brent Reinke, director of IDOC.

I can remember a time when the only fit labour for the imprisoned was breaking rocks, building roads and making license plates. I’ve never seen a low recidivism rate behind that either. It’s encouraging to see another example of the system breaking stereotype and getting the drift that we’re all in this together. Those who can return to society deserve the chance. Those who cannot deserve the chance, nonetheless, to contribute. Staying where their flaws can’t hurt anyone but at least paying for their keep.

So yep, if those who predict this Recession is coming to an end are seeing things like this and counting them important, I’d say we’ve reason for guarded optimism. What’s cool about this and perhaps a little frightening is that for perhaps the first time ~ President Obama and Congressional generosity notwithstanding ~ it’s still up to us.

I remember this totally outstanding commercial on television with these big hands coming down and enfolding a house and family. I’m thinking we’ve learned not to depend so much on Allstate and a bit more on ourselves?

And finally, occasionally I come across a website so cool I just can’t help passing it along. If this column had a CUTTING THE STRESS DEPARTMENT, this would certainly fall into it. The medical community has known for years
that mental exercise ~ including and especially crossword puzzles, brain teasers, etc. ~ keeps the brain healthy and can postpone and sometimes prevent the onset of Alzheimer's. Do yourself and those who love you a favor and check this out. Arcamax.com.

Until next time, then, eh? Take care, stay well and God Bless. We’ll see you next week, if not before. And thanks for the ear.

Rusty

1 comment:

Beth said...

Glad to hear things are looking up in Washington! For the rest of us, it seems that some things are improving (housing starts) while others are still finding their low point (unemployment). It will be a slow process, but I hope this is the beginning of the recovery.

Thanks for the fun site--I've got it saved. You might also enjoy RefDesk.com, which has a wealth of information, including a section of games. I love to do puzzles!